Modesto Nuts won’t have a 2020 season after Minor League Baseball scraps year
Fans who were hoping to catch a Modesto Nuts game at John Thurman Field this year received some tough news on Tuesday after the 2020 Minor League Baseball season was canceled.
“These are tough times and although it’s incredibly unfortunate that we won’t be playing any baseball in Modesto this year I can’t help but feel lucky to live & work in the Central Valley,” Nuts General Manager Zach Brockman said in a statement. “Since mid-March when our offices shut down, we’ve stayed in close contact with our ticket holders and partners.
“Right from the very start those conversations have been overwhelmingly positive even in the face of a global pandemic that has caused hardship for many. Their resiliency & undying spirit has truly been an inspiration. We have the best fans in the world!”
The season was originally postponed on March 12 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
It will be the first time since 1945 that Modesto won’t have a minor league baseball season.
Major League Baseball announced on June 23 players would report for training camp on July 1 and the 60-game regular season would begin on July 23 or July 24.
Several members of last year’s Nuts team, the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Seattle Mariners, are on Seattle’s 60-man training camp roster.
They are: Right-handed pitcher Logan Gilbert, outfielder Jarred Kelenic, right-handed pitcher Ljay Newsome, catcher Cal Raleigh, and outfielder Julio Rodriguez.
Kelenic, Rodriguez, and Gilbert are the Mariners’ top three prospects according to MLB.com.
In the press release, the Nuts said ticket holders and sponsors will receive correspondences by Wednesday, July 8 at 5 p.m. regarding ticket policies.