Update: Frito-Lay is reopening Modesto plant after cleaning prompted by coronavirus
The Frito-Lay chip plant in Modesto was expected to reopen Wednesday, March 25, after a deep cleaning prompted by coronavirus.
The company had closed the Garner Road plant earlier in the week, after an undisclosed number of employees showed symptoms of the virus. The were asked to self-quarantine for 14 days and seek medical attention, as were people who worked close to them.
Frito-Lay said in an emailed statement Wednesday afternoon that the plant would reopen at some point that day. It employs about 600 people, making potato chips, corn chips and other snacks.
There is no evidence that the COVID-19 virus can be transmitted to consumers via the chips or packaging, the company said.
“The safety of our products, employees and community remains our top priority,” the statement said.
Stanislaus County had 12 confirmed cases as of Wednesday afternoon.
Frito-Lay, based in Plano, Texas, said it could not detail the condition of the ill employees due to medical privacy laws.
The plant, just south of Yosemite Boulevard in the Beard Industrial District, is one of Modesto’s largest private employers. It produces chips for consumers in Northern California and Nevada.
Frito-Lay said all employees would be paid for the hours lost to the plant closure, and it would provide 14 days of pay for those who have self-quarantined.
Frito-Lay’s parent company, PepsiCo, said it plans to hire about 6,000 full-time people nationwide to help the 90,000-plus current employees meet the demand for food and beverages.
Such companies can continue to operate amid California’s stay-at-home order because they are considered “essential” businesses.
This story was originally published March 25, 2020 at 4:08 PM.