Stanislaus judge sets March preliminary hearing in James Hooker case
A judge on Tuesday set a preliminary hearing in the criminal case against former Enochs High School teacher James Hooker. The action advances a prosecution that recently reinstated a felony lewd-act charge after months of uncertainty following the death of the alleged victim.
During a hearing in Stanislaus County Superior Court, Judge Jeff Mangar scheduled the preliminary examination for March 16 at 1:30 p.m., with an additional early case-management hearing set for Feb. 23 at 8:30 a.m. Hooker, 55, remains out of custody on bond.
Hooker’s attorney, Robert D. Chase, appeared remotely via Zoom, telling the court he was unable to attend in person because of a serious leg infection that has required ongoing treatment.
“I have no idea how long it’s going to take to get it under control,” Chase said, adding that while Hooker wants the case resolved as quickly as possible, a March date for the preliminary hearing was the most realistic option.
Mangar granted the request to set the evidentiary hearing . Hooker’s release conditions were left unchanged.
DA says case ready to proceed
After the hearing, Deputy District Attorney Harshan Samra said prosecutors are prepared to move forward on both felony counts after reevaluating the case.
“At this point, we’re ready to set this case for an evidentiary hearing,” Samra said. “We feel like we have enough to proceed on the charges that were originally charged.”
Samra confirmed the prosecution is proceeding on two counts: lewd and lascivious acts with a minor and possession of child pornography.
The lewd-act charge was dismissed in July after the death of Autumn Rose, the woman at the center of the allegation, who was expected to testify. Prosecutors reinstated that count last month after further review.
Samra acknowledged that proceeding without the alleged victim presents challenges.
“Cases that we call victimless prosecutions are really difficult, and this required an extra analysis for us to go ahead and proceed,” he said. “When the victim passed away, things were looking a little bleak with this prosecution. But after reevaluating and further investigation, we believe we have enough to ethically proceed on these charges.”
Addressing concerns from Rose’s family about the pace of the case, Samra said prosecutors are working deliberately.
“Justice takes time,” he said. “We thank the family for their patience. We know during the holidays, things can be especially difficult, and we’re asking for a little patience as we try to do the right thing by justice.”
Defense unavailable, Hooker silent
Chase was not available for comment after the hearing because he appeared remotely. Hooker did not respond to questions from The Bee as he walked out of the courthouse.
Case background
Hooker was arrested in September 2024 after a minor reported that he had shared and possessed explicit images of children. The original charging complaint alleged that Hooker committed lewd acts with Rose when she was 14 to 15 years old, between 2019 and 2021, and that he possessed images depicting sexual conduct involving a minor.
After Rose died in July 2025, prosecutors said they could not proceed on the lewd-act allegation without her testimony and dismissed that count, leaving only the child-pornography charge. Authorities later ruled Rose’s death health-related.
With the reinstated charge and a preliminary hearing now scheduled, the March proceeding will mark the first time prosecutors publicly present evidence to determine whether the case should advance to trial.