Crime

Details emerge in Modesto family fight that left mother and son dead, second son injured

In July, a man bleeding from multiple gunshot wounds ran from his south Modesto home to seek help from a neighbor. Two hours later, Stanislaus County sheriff’s deputies found his mother and brother dead inside the house.

Authorities did not initially release the name of the mother or say who killed whom. But they closed the case this month, calling it a murder-suicide.

Sgt. Erich Layton said a family fight preceded the violence. Jason Flores, 41, killed his mother and shot his 46-year-old brother before turning the gun on himself inside their Inyo Avenue home, Layton said.

The brother who escaped suffered serious injuries but survived.

The mother, identified as 71-year-old Gloria Flores, was shot, but she died of multiple injuries to her head, neck and back that were caused by a hatchet, Layton said.

He said the case was reviewed and rejected by the Stanislaus County District Attorney’s Office, and sheriff’s detectives have classified it as closed due to “death of offender.”

Stanislaus County Sheriff’s deputies investigate a shooting on Inyo Avenue in south Modesto, Calif. Thursday, July 21, 2022
Stanislaus County Sheriff’s deputies investigate a shooting on Inyo Avenue in south Modesto, Calif. Thursday, July 21, 2022 Deke Farrow jfarrow@modbee.com

This story was originally published October 24, 2022 at 9:20 AM.

Erin Tracy
The Modesto Bee
Erin Tracy covers criminal justice and breaking news. She began working at the Modesto Bee in 2010 and previously worked at papers in Woodland and Eureka. She is a graduate of Humboldt State University.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER