A man who gave the middle finger to a front-door peephole camera as he was stealing a package from a front porch has been found, the Modesto Police Department posted on its Facebook page Tuesday evening.
Officers located Casey Harden, 39, on Tuesday, department spokeswoman Sharon Bear said. “We filed a DA complaint and he was cited for a misdemeanor warrant,” she wrote in an email.
He was not found because of a tip, though the Police Department did post the video Nov. 15 that shows him flipping off the camera and walking away with a package. The Bee also shared the video. The theft occurred on North Morton Boulevard.
Police recommend planning your package deliveries for when someone is home, sending them to your workplace, requiring a signature for delivery or asking a neighbor who is home to pick up your packages.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Modesto Bee
The Postal Service offers these tips to protect your mail from thieves:
- Use the letter slots inside your post office for your mail, or hand it to a letter carrier.
- Pick up your mail promptly after delivery. Don’t leave it in your mailbox overnight.
- If you’re expecting checks, credit cards or other negotiable items, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to pick up your mail.
- If you don’t receive a check or other valuable mail you’re expecting, contact the issuing agency immediately.
- If you change your address, immediately notify your post office and anyone with whom you do business via the mail.
- Don’t send cash in the mail.
- Tell your post office when you’ll be out of town so it can hold your mail until you return.
- Report all suspected mail theft to a postal inspector.
- Consult with your local postmaster for the most up-to-date regulations on mailboxes, including the availability of locked centralized or curbside mailboxes.
- If you see a mail thief at work, or if you believe your mail was stolen, call police immediately, then call postal inspectors at 877-876-2455 (press 3).
- Learn more at https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov.