Local

Nearby homeowners petitioned against senior apartments in Riverbank. Decision is in

Plans for 40 senior apartments got unanimous approval from the Riverbank City Council, over the protests of nearby homeowners Tuesday night.

The council rezoned the two-acre site, just east of Roselle Avenue a mile south of downtown, and will consider a specific design later. The rents will be market rate, rather than subsidized, but have not yet been set.

The neighbors in April persuaded the Riverbank Planning Commission to recommend 4-1 that the council deny the project.

They argued that it would add too much traffic to their neighborhood of single-family homes. They also said the owner could open the complex in the future to people younger than 55.

“We need affordable housing, senior housing ... but there’s also a time and a place,” John Keller, spokesman for the critics, told the council. He noted that 138 residents signed a petition against the project.

It is on Pocket Avenue in the Sterling Ridge subdivision, which was created in 2005 but still has several unbuilt lots. The site has an older house and barn that will be demolished to make way for apartments in six one-story buildings.

An old barn now sits on a two-acre site considered for 40 senior apartments by the Riverbank Planning Commission on April 19, 2022.
An old barn now sits on a two-acre site considered for 40 senior apartments by the Riverbank Planning Commission on April 19, 2022. John Holland jholland@modbee.com

“It is going to create more opportunities for people who need it in our community,” Councilwoman Rachel Hernandez said. The project is in her district.

Burlingame-based developer

The application came from Mahesh Khatwani, a Burlingame-based developer. Realtor Randy Brekke of Modesto spoke for him before the council and plans to be an investor himself.

Brekke said a consulting engineer estimated that senior apartments generate about a third of the vehicle traffic of single-family houses. He added that the management has no plans to switch to all-age housing, which would need council approval.

Critics noted that the area lacks grocery stores and other services that the seniors could reach easily on bus or foot. Hernandez said this will improve with the expected filling of sidewalk gaps on Roselle.

Compromise from critics

The opponents suggested that the two acres be split into 10 lots for single-family houses. But this would run the risk of 40 total houses because of a new state law allowing up to four per parcel, said Donna Kenney, director of planning and building services for the city.

The measure, Senate Bill 9, aims to boost California’s housing supply but drew protest about loss of local control over land-use decisions.

Kenney said the senior apartments also would help with public safety: “It would be more eyes on the neighborhood during the day while others are working.”

John Holland
The Modesto Bee
John Holland covers agriculture, transportation and general assignment news. He has been with The Modesto Bee since 2000 and previously worked at newspapers in Sonora and Visalia. He was born and raised in San Francisco and has a journalism degree from UC Berkeley.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER