Local

Man killed in Modesto was hit by 3 vehicles; police looking for drivers of 2

The 42-year-old man who died while attempting to walk across McHenry Avenue on Thursday night was hit by three vehicles, according to Modesto police.

The first vehicle hit the man in the left northbound lane as the pedestrian, who was not in a crosswalk, headed east, north of Woodrow Avenue at about 6 p.m., according to traffic Sgt. Lance Nicolai.

The driver, who was on her way home from work, pulled her white SUV into the center turn lane and stopped.

Nicolai said the vehicle that was driving behind the white SUV swerved and avoided hitting the man but the next vehicle, a dark colored SUV, ran over him. The vehicle after that avoided hitting the man but the white minivan behind it also ran over the man.

He said neither vehicle stopped at the scene.

“They might have thought they ran over some debris in the roadway,” Nicolai said. “We have these unanswered questions and ... we would like to talk to the drivers of those vehicles.”

The man who was hit died at the scene. Nicholai said it is unknown at this time if he died from the impact of being hit by the first vehicle or either of the subsequent vehicles. He has been identified but his name is being withheld by authorities because his family has not yet been notified.

The drivers of the dark colored SUV and white minivan or anyone else with information about the crash are asked to contact the Modesto Police Department Traffic Unit at 209-572-9592 or email Officer Randy Raduechel at raduechelr@modestopd.com.

This story was originally published December 6, 2019 at 10:56 AM.

Erin Tracy
The Modesto Bee
Erin Tracy covers criminal justice and breaking news. She began working at the Modesto Bee in 2010 and previously worked at papers in Woodland and Eureka. She is a graduate of Humboldt State University.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER