In another sign that the new housing market is recovering, the Modesto Planning Commission will consider Monday a request to divide nearly 34 acres in Village I into 186 single-family residential lots.
The proposed subdivision is at Oakdale Road and Floyd Avenue. The developers are expected to ask the commissioners to approve a tentative subdivision map for the development. City officials are recommending commissioners approve the request.
This is not the only new development in Village I.
Last month, the City Council approved Florsheim Land Co.’s request to build 58 single-family homes on 91/2 acres at Kodiak and Lincoln Oak drives. Construction could start in 12 to 18 months, according to a company official.
Modesto Planning Manager Patrick Kelly said the city has not seen this kind of activity for residential subdivisions since 2007.
The roughly 34 acres at Oakdale and Floyd is owned by Wendell Naraghi, Sharon Naraghi and Margaret Naraghi-Quattrin; the developers are Michael Clevenger and Ron Tate. Wendell Naraghi and the developers could not be reached for comment.
Kelly said there is much more work to be done before the project would get a final map and the land could be divided. Approval for the tentative map includes some city conditions, such as setting the homes along Oakdale far enough away from the road so traffic noise is not a concern for homeowners.
Kelly said the developers have not discussed their plans with the city. But in general, he said, a developer following an aggressive timeline could start building homes within about a year after it has a tentative map.
The Modesto Planning Commission meets at 6 p.m. Monday in the basement chamber of Tenth Street Place, 1010 10th St.
Bee staff writer Kevin Valine can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or (209) 578-2316.