More restaurants announced for Ceres’ Gateway Center. Who’s coming to town, and when?
Construction of the long-planned Ceres Gateway Center began Thursday, the developer announced, and the city has approved three additional national chains for the shopping area along Highway 99.
Chipotle Mexican Grill, Ono Hawaiian BBQ and Starbucks plan to open in the center on the northwest corner of Mitchell Road and Highway 99, the developer said.
The city anticipates Quick Quack Car Wash soon will submit a building application for the Gateway Center to the planning commission, Community Development Director Christopher Hoem said in an email. Ceres already has approved the other three newly announced businesses, Hoem said.
These businesses will join In-N-Out Burger, plans for which the city confirmed in April, at the 13.5-acre shopping center. Developer Gateway Center LLC estimates crews will finish the first phase of construction by fall 2022, it said in a press release.
“We are excited to break ground on Ceres Gateway Center and are so grateful to our late father, Ralph C. Ogden III, for having the original vision for this project nearly 15 years ago,” Daniel Ogden, a family representative, said in the release. “We are also thankful to the many team members who have worked tirelessly on this project through significant adversities to bring us to this stage.”
Ceres approved an earlier version of the Gateway Center in May 2008, but then the recession hit. The project permits expired four years later, per a city staff report.
The planning commission approved the developer’s new version of the project in February 2020, meeting minutes show. Project plans include spaces for nine retail buildings, a hotel and a convenience store with a gas station and car wash.
To build the shopping area, including entrances at Service and Mitchell roads, Ceres Gateway Center LLC agreed to pay $1 million for construction improvements. The City Council approved the improvement agreement this July.
Ceres expects the Gateway Center to bring significant sales and property tax revenue to the city, former City Manager Tom Westbrook previously told The Bee.
The first phase of construction covers 25,000 square feet of the the 127,000-square-foot site, the developer said. Details for a second phase are to be announced.
“We’d like to give special thanks to our community leaders for their unwavering support for this project and we hope it will provide visitors and residents a dynamic retail experience not otherwise found in this community,” Ogden said in the release.
This story was originally published December 9, 2021 at 1:56 PM.