Missing woman's family still looking for answers
Merced County resident Karen Rene Wright mysteriously disappeared in Mexico two years ago this month. Her family and law enforcement are renewing their pleas to the public, asking anyone with information to come forward and help solve the case.
Karen Wright, 50, disappeared in San Felipe, Mexico, in early February 2009. The last time her family heard from her was a phone call made from Mexico on Feb. 9 that year. Merced County sheriff's detectives have since ruled the case a homicide.
Karen Wright was the wife of Randal Wright, owner of the now-defunct RTS Towing. Randal Wright has never been considered a suspect in the case, although detectives did refer to him as a "person of interest." Wright has consistently denied having any involvement in his wife's disappearance.
Kim Stewart, Karen's 47-year-old sister, said the passage of time hasn't healed her family's wounds, particularly because there are so many unanswered questions about the disappearance.
"It makes it harder. The more time that goes by, you're just so frustrated. But you have to hold out hope. It's just so hard, waiting," Stewart said. "I know my sister, and she wouldn't have just walked away."
The couple, who had been married 12 years, had owned two houses in San Felipe. Karen Wright had filed for divorce in October 2008.
The month of her disappearance, she had gone to San Felipe, according to her family. Karen Wright suspected Randal Wright might have been violating a court order prohibiting him from doing construction work on one of their homes until after their divorce was final. Her family said she'd gone to check on the house.
The Merced County Sheriff's Department learned of Karen Wright's disappearance after Randal Wright called investigators Feb. 12 to report a possible burglary at his home in Merced County. When deputies responded, Randal Wright mentioned his wife had not returned from Mexico. The department started a missing persons investigation.
Police in Mexico were never informed of Karen Wright's disappearance, sheriff's detectives said, until they traveled to San Felipe and filed a missing persons report.
In a separate case, Randal Wright was convicted in 2010 of unlawfully taking a black Mercedes Benz G55 from a Fresno dealership in December 2008. He was sentenced to six months in jail but remains free pending a decision by the state's 5th District Court of Appeal in Fresno.
Wright's attorney had asked the court to reverse an earlier decision by Merced County Superior Court Judge Brian McCabe, denying Wright's motion to withdraw his no-contest plea in the auto theft-embezzlement case.
Two tow truck drivers who worked for Randal Wright's company -- Steven Lincoln Lombard, 33, and Paul Armstrong, 28 -- vanished Dec. 17, 1993.
No one has been named as a suspect in the men's disappearances, which is considered a double homicide.
Sheriff's investigators are asking anyone with information about Karen Wright's disappearance to call (209) 385-7472. Tips are kept confidential and callers can remain anonymous.
Managing Editor Victor A. Patton can be reached at (209) 385-2431 or vpatton@mercesun-star.com.
This story was originally published February 14, 2011 at 12:42 AM with the headline "Missing woman's family still looking for answers."