Modesto’s downtown State Theatre plans weekend of films as it reopens
The State Theatre reopens this weekend with three films on its schedule, one each for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Gov. Gavin Newsom gave the green light recently for movie theaters to reopen after they were shuttered by the coronavirus pandemic. Most chains plan to wait until July to begin screening films.
But the historic downtown Modesto State is ready to go, with precautions in place.
No more than 100 people will be allowed in, with social distancing. Patrons must wear masks when they enter, but can remove them once they are ushered to their seats, according to Executive Director Kirstie Boyett.
The State’s first offering will be Friday, June 19, featuring the film “Miss Juneteenth” with a 1 p.m. showing.
On Saturday, June 20, the downtown theater will screen Modesto native George Lucas’ classic “American Graffiti” at 4 p.m.
On Sunday, June 21, the Modesto Film Society will present “Matinee” at 2 p.m.
Tickets for all three screenings are $9.
Boyett said last week that staff was putting in plans to keep the 550-seat theater safe for patrons.
They installed an air scrubber and upgraded to COVID-19 rated air filters. Plexiglass also was installed at the concession areas, she said. Patrons will enter in one door to the theater and go out the other, and there will be hand sanitizer available throughout.
For more information, see thestate.org.
This story was originally published June 16, 2020 at 4:16 PM.