24-year-old killed in drive-by shooting

07/30/2013 6:19 AM

07/30/2013 12:01 PM

Police are investigating a drive-by shooting that left a 24-year-old man dead. Investigators said they have few leads and no suspects.

According to authorities, officers responded to a report of a shooting the 2800 block of Campbell Lane at 6:03 p.m. Monday. The street is in central Modesto, near the intersection of West Rumble and Carver roads.

When officers arrived they found the victim, who had been shot at least once. Firefighters and paramedics provided medical aid, and an ambulance took the man to an area hospital, where he died. Police Tuesday morning identified the victim as Frankie Vargas of Modesto.

Witnesses reportedly told police the victim had driven up to his home when someone in another vehicle passing by fired several rounds at the man. The victim was still in his car, a black 2006 Dodge Charger.

Detectives were canvassing the neighborhood late into the night Monday, looking for witnesses and gathering evidence.

“Investigators have limited investigative leads and suspect information at this time,” Sgt. Ivan Valencia said in a news release.

Investigators ask anyone with information regarding the shooting to contact the Modesto Police Department at (209) 572-9500 or Crime Stoppers at (209) 521-4636. Callers to Crime Stoppers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a cash reward. We will have more on this story later today.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service