Local

Fire breaks out in metal scrap yard at Modesto Junk Co.

A fire broke out at Modesto Junk Co. on Friday afternoon but was contained to a small part of its metal scrap yard.

The fire nonetheless forced the company to temporarily close the portion where residents are paid for “CA redemption value” beverage containers. Customers still can bring in scrap metal, cardboard and e-waste, Modesto Junk announced in the evening.

Firefighters responded at about 2:20 p.m. to the century-old business on the 1400 block of Ninth Street. The flames were in a nonpublic area near the O Street end where scrap metal is processed for resale.

Crews contained the fire to the debris piles, and no buildings were damaged, Battalion Chief Jesse Nicasio of the Modesto Fire Department said at the scene. No one was injured.

Firefighters brought a ladder truck into the scrap yard and sprayed water from above, aided by an excavator that moved metal aside.

The cause is under investigation, and experts will check the firehose runoff for hazardous materials, Nicasio said.

The department had help from the Ceres Fire Department and the Stanislaus Consolidated Fire Protection District.

Modesto Junk Co. was founded in 1920 by Alex Highiet. It is now run by the third and fourth generations of his family.

Recycling centers are among the “essential” businesses exempted from the state’s stay-home order to control the coronavirus.

This story was originally published March 27, 2020 at 3:26 PM.

Related Stories from Modesto Bee
John Holland
The Modesto Bee
John Holland covers agriculture, transportation and general assignment news. He has been with The Modesto Bee since 2000 and previously worked at newspapers in Sonora and Visalia. He was born and raised in San Francisco and has a journalism degree from UC Berkeley.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER