Reading time, two minutes:
▪ The 49ers slowly were awakening from their nightmare until: Ahmad Brooks.
▪ It would help if, just for a while and for appearance sake, owner Jed York abstains from saying, “Winning with class.”
▪ Not all of the player behavior can be blamed on Jim Harbaugh. York and GM Trent Baalke are still in charge. And they were Harbaugh’s bosses.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Modesto Bee
▪ Here’s the solution: The 49ers start 0-4. Just to change the subject.
▪ Remember #Questfor6? It still applies – for wins.
▪ The 49ers’ Jarryd Hayne is no rugby curiosity. He’s an athlete – the first downfield on kickoffs and he almost always makes the first tackler miss on returns.
▪ Always the first on-the-field question about the 49ers: Will Colin Kaepernick (Pitman High) show improvement?
▪ A hint: The Broncos praised Kaepernick after this week’s joint practices.
▪ If the Denver Broncos’ Isaiah Burse (Modesto Christian) fails to make the 53-man roster, I’m guessing he’ll be picked up. One option: The Raiders and Derek Carr, Burse’s pass-and-catch partner at Fresno State.
8The number of home runs by Yoenis Cespedes since his trade to the Mets
▪ The turf held up well at Levi’s Stadium for Cowboys-49ers. But will it pass the Luke Bryan test?
▪ Check out the Stanford Cardinal’s reaction to senior scout-team star Craig Jones (Central Catholic) and his earning a fourth-year scholarship.
▪ We’ll just assume Jones is one of the team’s favorites. And maybe a favorite of coach David Shaw.
▪ One reason why Jones is elated: The cost of one undergraduate year at Stanford is $64,477.
▪ The USC players meted out the punishment for coach Steve Sarkisian. Is it just me, or did “down” just become “up”?
▪ Retired ex-49er Jonathan Martin said he’s attempted suicide multiple times. After all he’s been through, he deserves the help.
▪ The NFL insists on its four-game preseason so it can sell cars, beer and razors. The latest victims were the Packers’ Jordy Nelson and Steelers’ Maurkice Pouncey.
▪ In my idea of a better world: Two preseason games and the schedule stays at 16.
▪ The death of IndyCar driver Justin Wilson jogged the memory to the line by the late legendary columnist Jim Murray, “Gentlemen, start your coffins.”
▪ Jose Reyes of the Rockies did not enjoy being traded to a last-place team. My sympathy is reserved for Rockies fans. They lost Troy Tulowitzki.
▪ Clovis’ Bryson DeChambeau, only the fifth golfer to win the NCAA and the U.S. Amateur in the same year, is cheered by all golf fans – including local relatives.
▪ All those breakaway rims were inspired by the glass-crashing dunks by the late Darryl Dawkins, aka “Chocolate Thunder.”
▪ Or “Cool Breeze,” or “Sir Slam” or “Dr. Dunkenstein.”
▪ Dawkins has adjourned to his version of heaven – the planet Lovetron.
▪ ▪ The Kings signed Ole Miss showman Marshall Henderson onto its training camp team. Think Jason Williams.
▪ In keeping with all of college football’s crazy new uniforms, North Carolina will wear argyle. As in, “McTavish, I’ll take my martini on the patio.”
▪ Oregon, always good for shock value, teases fans with glow-in-the-dark uniforms. Great idea, especially if football is ever played in the dark.
The 49ers could start 0-4. Just to change the subject.
▪ Your weekly Oakland A’s golden oldie: Yoenis Cespedes, eight home runs and 22 RBIs since his trade from Detroit to the New York Mets.
▪ Usain Bolt finally met his match – a Segway.
▪ No worries, high school football fans, if you missed Friday night’s openers. There will be games until, say, mid-December.
▪ Hayne’s over-the-shoulder catch of a punt dusted off a not-so-pleasant memory for 49ers fans: Kyle Williams.
▪ Next season: Reporting from the Cowboys scouting bureau in Perth...
▪ The 49ers culture changes only when York/Baalke do not sign the next Jerome Simpson.