Reading time, two minutes:
▪ Baseball’s dog days and football preseason always leave us a little dizzy.
▪ The opening NFL preseason games already have given us a clue to what’s coming: More two-point conversion tries.
▪ Crazy rumor about ex-49er Aldon Smith and Colin Kaepernick getting into a fight before Smith’s arrest. The last time we saw Smith, he supported Kaepernick at his Camp Taylor “Against All Odds” benefit golf tournament at Del Rio CC.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Update: The tournament has raised nearly $1 million for Camp Taylor over the first three years.
▪ A busload of Camp Taylor kids will attend a 49ers practice on Tuesday. They were invited by Kaepernick and coach Jim Tomsula.
▪ Would the Raiders agree to play a few seasons at Levi’s Stadium in order to stay in the Bay Area? Depends on: 1. Approval by the 49ers, 2. the Raiders’ commitment to stay, which is connected to, 3. The new stadium proposal.
▪ The next step, of course: Having a stadium proposal.
10John Daly scored a 10 on a par-3 at the PGA Championship
▪ Just a feeling, but the Rams’ return to Los Angeles appears like a good bet.
▪ Also a better than 50-50 chance, but not until after Super Bowl 50: Synthetic turf at Levi’s.
▪ The unbeaten 1980 Modesto Junior College football team will hold a reunion on Sept. 5, the Pirates’ season opener against American River.
▪ How good was that 1980 team, you ask? At season’s end, they were ranked No. 1 in the country by JC Grid-Wire.
▪ If you were a member of that team, call Eddie Kiryakous at 272-6335.
▪ Remember the “10-Year War” between Ohio State’s Woody Hayes and Michigan’s Bo Schembechler? It might repeat with Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh.
▪ Beth Mowins will become the second woman to do TV football play-by-play when she does three Raiders preseason games. Can’t imagine someone more qualified than her.
▪ The Giants have won three World Series while spinning a revolving door at second base: Freddy Sanchez, Marco Scutaro, Ryan Theriot, Emmanuel Burriss, Dan Uggla, Joe Panik and others.
▪ Starting to look this way: The Giants stand a better chance of catching the Dodgers in the N.L. West than securing a wild card.
▪ Vin Scully on the state of the Dodgers: “It’s Greinke and Kershaw and hold on to your hat!”
▪ The late Frank Gifford will be remembered by three generations: 1. As a football star for the New York Giants, 2. As the polished play-by-play man for “Monday Night Football” and other telecasts, and 3. As Kathie Lee Gifford’s husband.
▪ About the “Old Man Weather” logo at Whistling Straits, the site of the PGA Championship: It looks like WS founder Herb Kohler.
▪ About John Daly’s 10 at a par-3 : It’s called a septuple bogey.
▪ Daly dumped three balls and his 6-iron into Lake Michigan. And the legend grows.
▪ When Tiger Woods tees it up at his next major, he’ll be 40.
▪ Why the rivalry between Jordan Spieth and Rory McIlroy will get better over the years: Spieth is 22, McIlroy 26.
▪ The duels between Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson would have been more numerous if they weren’t born 10 years apart.
▪ The Americans haven’t swept the majors since 1982. That streak might end Sunday.
▪ Fresno State has its own blimp – Bulldog1. Yes, it’s red.
▪ Because it’s the NFL: The consensus was the 49ers had to release Smith. But when he’s again eligible, another team will sign him in about five minutes.
▪ The Raiders will improve this year. Here’s the tiebreaker from any Raider fan: “We actually have a coach (Jack Del Rio).”