NASCAR & Auto Racing

Notes | No. 45 still goes home, Prelude plans and Sadler's back

Kyle Petty said he still wants to drive in the Cup series, even though he was replaced in the No. 45 Dodge by Chad McCumbee for this weekend's race.

The move didn't turn out like Petty Enterprises hoped, as McCumbee ran 183.736 mph during qualifying and did not make the race.

Prelude to Dream on tap for June 4

Tony Stewart said his goal is to write a $1 million check to Kyle and Pattie Petty to help start a Victory Junction Gang Camp in the Kansas City area after the Prelude to the Dream race June 4 at Stewart's Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio.

Stewart, Kevin Harvick, Kasey Kahne, Kyle Busch, Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Carl Edwards, Matt Kenseth, Denny Hamlin and Bobby Labonte are among the drivers expected to compete in the exhibition.

Last year's event raised about $800,000.

"No matter how big this thing gets, we'll never forget that the purpose is to raise as much money as possible for Victory Junction," Stewart said.

Sadler's back is better, but ailing

Elliott Sadler still has pain in his back, but he felt a lot better Friday than when he toughed his way through 500 laps Sunday at Martinsville (Va.) Speedway.

"I'm about 80 to 85 percent right now," said Sadler, who qualified 26th for the Samsung 500. "I went to a lot of therapy this week, stayed in bed a lot, rested a lot."

Sadler said he played five sports in high school, but racing last weekend was the hardest sports-related thing he's done. He had some patches that numbed his back to help him finish 15th.

Sadler said two disks in his back bulged at the same time.

"I really don't know what happened," he said. "I wish I could pinpoint it and that's what we're worried about right now. We're kind of back-stepping everything that I've been doing the last few months."

  Comments