TALLADEGA, Ala. – NASCAR veteran Dale Jarrett appears ready to step away from fulltime racing in the Nextel Cup Series.
Jarrett said Saturday he will make an announcement Thursday at Lowe’s Motor Speedway about his plans for the 2008 season. He originally was planning on doing another full season in the No. 44 Toyota with sponsor UPS.
All Jarrett would offer regarding his decision was, “It’s probably a little different than that.”
“It’s not like it’s going to change anything about the world or anything,” he said. “I’m very happy with the decision. I will be driving some races.”
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Modesto Bee
Michael Waltrip Racing also has an announcement scheduled Friday at Lowe’s Motor Speedway, where the team is expected to announce its plans to deal with Jarrett’s decision.
Jarrett said the opportunity to work in television did not factor into his decision. He said last week he had approached UPS officials two months ago and offered to make changes to his 2008 plans if they so chose.
Jarrett said he also sought advice from former NFL quarterback Terry Bradshaw, who, like Jarrett, helps promote “Pay the Fan,” a fantasy sports website that provides fantasy players a place to compete for cash prizes.
“Terry said make sure you drive as long as you want to and as long as you can, because once you get out, no one has ever really gone back and done anything very good, whether it’s racing or football,” Jarrett said.
“He said to make sure you satisfy yourself. I took that into consideration.”