LARGE SCHOOLS — BOYS
1. (1) Merced (16-7): Guards Allen Huddleston and Jarrett Sparks teamed for 51 in 60-54 win over Pitman.
2. (3) Downey (18-5): Avenged loss and took over first place in MMC by beating then-No. 2 Modesto 63-55.
3. (4) Turlock (17-6): Bulldogs have won four in a row since 66-60 loss to Merced, which visits on Friday.
4. (2) Modesto (13-8): Panthers get another crack at Downey on final night of season in potential title game.
5. (5) Sierra (18-4): Timberwolves are healthy again, making them a threat in the upcoming D-II playoffs.
LARGE SCHOOLS — GIRLS
1. (2) Turlock (20-4): Merced's upset loss clears way for 'Dogs to claim top spot. They host Merced tonight.
2. (1) Merced (17-6): Bears had won nine in a row before 49-48 loss to Pitman, so they fall just one spot.
3. (3) East Union (17-8): A loss at Sonora's Bud Castle Gym ended 23-game VOL win streak. At Sierra tonight.
4. (5) Sonora (18-6): What a week for the 'Cats: Wins over EU, Sierra make VOL a three-team race to finish.
5. (4) Sierra (15-3): 'Wolves can move up the rankings and create three-way tie for first by beating rival EU.
SMALL SCHOOLS — BOYS
1. (1) Modesto Chr. (18-4): Intersectional showcase Saturday when MC hosts Skyline and its potent guards.
2. (3) Mariposa (19-4): Grizzlies have won 17 in a row, clinched Southern League title behind guard Tim Oswald.
3. (nr) Livingston (13-11): Wolves on a seven-game winning streak. Central Catholic and Patterson are next.
4. (2) Patterson (19-5): Tigers have lost twice in the last two weeks and must get on track before playoffs.
5. (nr) Hughson (17-5): Huskies nailed 10 3-pointers in Tuesday's 71-39 TVL rout of previous No. 4 Ripon.
SMALL SCHOOLS — GIRLS
1. (1) Modesto Chr. (21-3): Crusaders are 19-1 since opening at 2-2. Physical Hughson is on tap tonight.
2. (3) Patterson (16-10): Seven consecutive wins have vaulted Tigers from obscurity to No. 2 in the district.
3. (2) Bret Harte (19-4): Monday loss to Linden bumps Bullfrogs down a spot. They are hosting Linden tonight.
4. (4) Le Grand (13-4): Quadruple-double by Jennifer Hansen demands a question: Is she best in the district?
5. (5) Livingston (18-4): WAC will be decided this next week: Livingston, Patterson and Hilmar play each other.