LARGE SCHOOLS — BOYS
1. (1) Merced (12-7): The backcourt of Jarrett Sparks and Allen Huddleston Jr. is tearing through CCC.
2. (4) Pitman (13-5): Pride has been dominant in three wins since loss to Merced. They host Bears on Feb. 1.
3. (nr) Modesto (9-7): Beating Downey to move into first place in MMC vaults Panthers into the top three.
4. (2) Downey (11-5): Knights have won nine of their last 10 games, with lone defeat 70-55 at Modesto.
5. (3) Sierra (14-4): Timberwolves look healthy again and just gave powerful Weston Ranch a tough game.
LARGE SCHOOLS — GIRLS
1. (1) Merced (15-5): Bears no longer a surprise team, but a very good one riding eight-game winning streak.
2. (2) Turlock (17-4): Bulldogs have rematch with Merced, Feb. 7 in Turlock, circled on their schedule.
3. (3) East Union (14-7): EU emrged from first round of VOL with perfect record. New coach, same success.
4. (4) Sierra (12-2): Bounced back from loss to No. 3 EU with impressive 43-40 win vs. Sonora.
5. (5) Sonora (14-6): Wildcats hold off Golden Valley for No. 5, but they need to beat EU or Sierra to keep it.
SMALL SCHOOLS — BOYS
1. (1) Modesto Chr. (11-4): Crusaders could face most difficult TVL game when they host Ripon on Saturday.
2. (2) Patterson (17-3): Tigers extended win streak to eight and Felix Mapanda is playing tough underneath.
3. (3) Mariposa (16-4): Grizzlies are rolling through the SL, but it will be tough to crack district's top two.
4. (4) Argonaut (16-4): Upset loss to Calaveras on Tuesday not enough to cost the Mustangs the 4-spot.
5. (nr) Ripon (11-7): Slow-starting Indians have won eight in a row, but No. 1 Crusaders on the horizon.
SMALL SCHOOLS — GIRLS
1. (1) Modesto Chr. (16-3): It's back to dominating the TVL for the Crusaders, though playoffs will be difficult.
2. (2) Bret Harte (15-3): Potential section semifinal could pit Bullfrogs and No. 1 MC in a must-see game.
3. (4) Hilmar (14-3): 'Jackets avenged earlier loss by beating Livingston 45-38 for seventh consecutive win.
4. (5) Le Grand (12-4): Bulldogs have become bullies in the SL, though Mariposa could be difficult tonight.
5. (3) Livingston (14-3): Rivalry's not over yet, as the Wolves will face Hilmar for a third time on Jan. 31.