LARGE SCHOOLS — BOYS
1. (1) Merced (12-7): The backcourt of Jarrett Sparks and Allen Huddleston Jr. is tearing through CCC.
2. (4) Pitman (13-5): Pride has been dominant in three wins since loss to Merced. They host Bears on Feb. 1.
3. (nr) Modesto (9-7): Beating Downey to move into first place in MMC vaults Panthers into the top three.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Modesto Bee
4. (2) Downey (11-5): Knights have won nine of their last 10 games, with lone defeat 70-55 at Modesto.
5. (3) Sierra (14-4): Timberwolves look healthy again and just gave powerful Weston Ranch a tough game.
LARGE SCHOOLS — GIRLS
1. (1) Merced (15-5): Bears no longer a surprise team, but a very good one riding eight-game winning streak.
2. (2) Turlock (17-4): Bulldogs have rematch with Merced, Feb. 7 in Turlock, circled on their schedule.
3. (3) East Union (14-7): EU emrged from first round of VOL with perfect record. New coach, same success.
4. (4) Sierra (12-2): Bounced back from loss to No. 3 EU with impressive 43-40 win vs. Sonora.
5. (5) Sonora (14-6): Wildcats hold off Golden Valley for No. 5, but they need to beat EU or Sierra to keep it.
SMALL SCHOOLS — BOYS
1. (1) Modesto Chr. (11-4): Crusaders could face most difficult TVL game when they host Ripon on Saturday.
2. (2) Patterson (17-3): Tigers extended win streak to eight and Felix Mapanda is playing tough underneath.
3. (3) Mariposa (16-4): Grizzlies are rolling through the SL, but it will be tough to crack district's top two.
4. (4) Argonaut (16-4): Upset loss to Calaveras on Tuesday not enough to cost the Mustangs the 4-spot.
5. (nr) Ripon (11-7): Slow-starting Indians have won eight in a row, but No. 1 Crusaders on the horizon.
SMALL SCHOOLS — GIRLS
1. (1) Modesto Chr. (16-3): It's back to dominating the TVL for the Crusaders, though playoffs will be difficult.
2. (2) Bret Harte (15-3): Potential section semifinal could pit Bullfrogs and No. 1 MC in a must-see game.
3. (4) Hilmar (14-3): 'Jackets avenged earlier loss by beating Livingston 45-38 for seventh consecutive win.
4. (5) Le Grand (12-4): Bulldogs have become bullies in the SL, though Mariposa could be difficult tonight.
5. (3) Livingston (14-3): Rivalry's not over yet, as the Wolves will face Hilmar for a third time on Jan. 31.