Youth bowler Roman Heath of Modesto made his way to Buffalo, N.Y., to compete in the Junior Gold Championships this week. A total of 2,479 of the top youth bowlers from all over the United States are competing in six divisions.
The field will bowl three days of qualifying until the first cut is made. After two more cuts, the remaining bowlers will go into double-elimination match-play bracket finals. The top bowlers will earn a spot on the Junior Team USA. Scholarships are given to every participant that makes the prize list.
• Only six days are left to roll in the 65th Peach Classic at McHenry. The tournament started in 1949 at the now-closed Modesto Bowl by Jerry Marsh and became the premier singles tournament in the country. It moved to McHenry in the 1980s under his son, Garrad. The tournament garners nearly 1,000 entries from throughout the West and guarantees a $20,000 prize fund. This year, the prize fund is expected to exceed $30,000. Squads are on Saturdays and Sundays at noon, 2:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. Call (209) 571-2695 to reserve a spot, as the squads fill up as the tournament winds down.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• The trio team of Kathy Ereso, Michelle Layton and Debra Taliaferro won the Yosemite Ladies Luncheon Tournament, scoring a 2,229 total. Finishing in a tie for second were the team of Pam Lecher, Beth Sims and April Doran and the team of Sharon Ball, Lori Hedrick and Jackie Wirth. Both teams scored a 2,221 total, only eight pins out of first.
• The Kegler Trio Tournament competes Thursday at 9:30 a.m. at McHenry. Check-in starts at 9 a.m. The trio tournament can have any combo of men and women for their team lineup.
• The McHenry Senior Singles No-Tap Tournament bowls Friday at 1 p.m. The potluck starts at noon and check-in at 12:30.
• Nominations for the Modesto USBC elections are due by noon this Sunday. Vice president and six directors will be elected at the annual meeting set for Sunday, July 27, at 11 a.m. at McHenry Bowl.
• Manteca Bowl is hosting the Summer Singles Tournament this Saturday at 12:30 p.m. Check-in is at 10:30 a.m. Entry fee is $35, and forms are at the bowl desks. Call (209) 824-2889 for more info.
• If you’re not a bowler but would like to learn, McHenry is offering an adult and youth class for new bowlers. The adult class is set for Tuesday evenings Aug. 5, 12, 19 and 26 from 6:30-8 p.m. A youth class will run Thursdays, Aug. 7, 14, 21 and 28 from 4:30-6 p.m. The classes are free and teach the basics of bowling. Call (209) 571-2695 to sign up or for more information.
• Online registration has opened for the 2015 USBC Open Championships, to be held March 7-July 11 in El Paso, Texas. Changes in fees and schedules have been adopted for the event. Fees now have a standard, value or premium charge, depending on what day the team bowls. The basic fee is the standard level – $55 per event per person. Value pricing pays the same but receives $15 in vouchers to spend inside the venue. If you choose a Friday or Saturday time, you will pay the premium rate – $75 added to your fees. A new squad schedule will also be in effect. Doubles and singles will be at 9 a.m. or 1 p.m. Team will be scheduled for 5 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. On some days, the 8:30 p.m. squad will be a combination squad with team and doubles/singles.