Leading Off

MJC seeks helping hands from WR Allen

Marcus Allen may not be related to the former Oakland Raider running back of the same name, but he'll do his best to emulate him tonight in a Golden Gate Conference matchup against Los Medanos. Page C-6

USC football team gets scare on flight

The plane carrying USC's football team to South Bend, Ind., for its game today against Notre Dame plummeted during a severe thunderstorm, forcing the pilot to abort his first landing attempt. There were about 125 people, including 82 players, on the chartered flight Thursday night. "That was terrifying," fullback Stanley Havili told the Los Angeles Times. "I thought I was going to die." Some passengers were thrown from their seats by turbulence as lightning crackled around the storm-tossed plane, USC sports information director Tim Tessalone told The Associated Press on Friday. Safety Taylor Mays was screaming. The pilot aborted the approach and circled around the storm before landing without incident about 20 minutes later to the relief of the shaken team and the spouses of some staff members also on the flight, Tessalone said.

Fighting with Kings' Miller costs Howard

Mavericks forward Josh Howard (pictured) was suspended Friday for the first two games of the regular season, punishment for a fight with Sacramento center Brad Miller earlier in the week. Howard was ejected from an exhibition Tuesday against the Kings after delivering a forearm to the back of Miller's neck. He also pushed Miller, who had shoved Dallas guard Devin Harris to the ground. Miller was not punished. NBA, Page C-2

John Henry memorial draws more than 500

More than 500 people attended a graveside memorial Friday for John Henry, the thoroughbred great remembered by one of his jockeys as a "tremendous legend" and a horse who could draw fans to tracks across the country. John Henry, who won $6.5 million and became America's richest racehorse before retiring in 1985, was euthanized last week at 32 at Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington. The gelding spent the final 22 years of his life there and was one of the park's biggest attractions. "He represented our spirit," said John Nicholson, the park's executive director. "If ever we had a day things might look bleak, all we had to do was visit our good-luck charm."