The scores are in for the first weekend of competition in three events in the Modesto USBC City Tournaments.
In the Open Championships Mixed Team division, Team Worth/Flores/Norton leads with a 3,369 total, paced by Barry Norton’s 645 set. Team members include Mike, Donna and Brandon Worth and Troy Flores.
In the Men’s Team division, Freddy’s Tree Service is ahead with a 3,346. Captain Freddy Irvin led the scratch team with his 725 series. Don Erickson, Richard Camp, Terry Daniels and Chris Kraft rounded out the lineup.
Leaders in the Doubles event in the Men’s division are Tim and Stephen Roy, who posted a 1,479. In the Mixed division, Jim and Sheri Cole are in first place with a 1,466.
Leading the Women’s Doubles are Patricia Kirschman and Claudelle Bonaccinie with a 1,328. Sheri Cole was tops in Women’s Singles with a 734. Brett Burkett is high in Men’s Singles with a 769 series.
The tournament winds up this weekend with squads Saturday at 11 a.m. and Sunday at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Doubles and Singles compete at Yosemite Lanes, and Team is at McHenry Bowl.
▪ In the Senior City Doubles No-tap Tournament, Jim and Debbie Taliaferro lead with a 1,660. Jim rolled an 855, including a no-tap 300 game. Debbie added a 673, and the pair received 132 pins handicap. Kathy Wesley and Gene Stamps are in second with a 1,636.
Friday at 1 p.m. is the last squad for the Senior City Doubles No-tap Tournament at McHenry. Doubles teams may be any combination of men and women, but with only one prize list. Entrants must be 50 or older.
▪ Wayne and Will Garber left the National Bowling Stadium in Reno with some extra cash after placing in the PBA Sands Regency West/Northwest Winter Classic tour stop. Wayne qualified in fourth place with an 1,885. After the final round, he finished fourth for $750 with a 4-6 win record. Son Will was fifth for $650 and posted another 300 game.
▪ The Ladies Luncheon No-Tap is scheduled to bowl Friday at 9:30 a.m. at Yosemite. Check-in is at 9.
▪ On March 21, the California Bowlers to Veterans Link state finals will be held at McHenry. The opening ceremony is slated for 10:30 a.m., followed by two squads of tournament competition. Qualifiers from throughout California will be vying for state titles in five men’s divisions and six women’s divisions.
▪ A reminder to scratch bowlers in the area – the Modesto Masters Tournament will be March 28-29. First place is $3,000 guaranteed. Qualifying squads are scheduled Saturday and the finals Sunday. Call Wayne at (209) 524-9161 for information.
▪ Modesto USBC Scholarship applications are available at the bowling centers and are due back by April 15. The Memorial Hall of Fame Scholarship is only for graduating seniors who are current bowlers in the Modesto association and is based on bowling history, academics and community involvement. Award amounts vary according to allotted dollars. The second award, the Director’s Scholarship, can be won by any high school-aged youth who has a parent or grandparent who currently bowls in a sanctioned league in Modesto. This award may be won multiple times in the ninth through 12th grades.
Dallas Kadry can be reached at (209) 571-2695 or firstname.lastname@example.org.