Letters to the Editor

Limiting emissions not the answer

Those who say we are causing global warming ignore the fact that 95 percent of greenhouse gases are water vapor. The remaining 5 percent is less than half carbon dioxide. Of the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, less than half is caused from fossil-fuel-burning engines; most is created by rotting leaves, volcanoes, forest fires, etc. Plants need carbon dioxide to thrive, and farming and natural plants consume tons of carbon dioxide. Putting restrictions on fossil- fuel-burning engines will not reduce global warming. But implementing these restrictions will seriously harm the economy. The economy is vital to the well-being of our society -- not just well-to-do folks, but everyone. The Modesto Irrigation District has already talked about raising rates because of its efforts to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

DON ULRICH

Denair

  Comments