The Trump administration shares many of the characteristics of fascist regimes as studied by Lawrence Britt. Here are a few:
▪ Powerful and continuing nationalism (“America first!”);
▪ Disdain for the recognition of human rights (“Lock her up!”);
▪ Identification of enemies/scapegoats as a unifying cause (Mexicans, Muslims);
▪ Supremacy of the military (increasing military budget even when we already spend more than the next eight nations combined);
▪ Rampant sexism ( “Grab ‘em by the p----”).
▪ Controlled of mass media (Everything Trump doesn’t like is labeled fake news).
▪ Obsession with national security (“Build the wall…”).
▪ Intertwining religion and government (Christianity is favored in many ways over other religions).
▪ Corporate power protected (“Tax cuts for already wealthy, powerful corporations; rolling back consumer protections).
▪ Labor’s power suppressed (so-called right-to-work laws; restricting rights to organize).
▪ Disdain for intellectuals and the arts (cutting funding for the arts; disdaining facts).
▪ Obsession with crime and punishment (Increasing penalties for drug possession; getting “tough on crime” though it’s decreasing).
▪ Rampant cronyism and corruption (Putting members of family in the cabinet).
▪ Fraudulent elections (Russian meddling, voter suppression).
Pat Egenberger, Modesto