Re “Denham wants pets given ticket to ride” (Page A-1, Feb. 18):
1. I love Amtrak staff and service.
2. I love my canine American companion, “Einstein aka Itty-Bitty”, a 2 1/2 pound, toothless, 14-year-old, formerly abused, long-haired albino Chihuahua.
3. I love my mom and to visit with family/friends, one and the same.
4. I love to meet people as I travel the country, as my late husband and I did through 46 states and all over the world.
1. I don’t love driving on costly, hazardous highways.
2. I don’t love choosing between spending my limited income for transportation on the basics or life, such as food, utilities, property taxes, toilet paper!
3. I don’t love leaving my unconditional friend behind, where boarding is frightening to him and he might contract kennel cough again.
4. I don’t love writing off Amtrak as my travel alternative.
To have a pet-friendly Amtrak would be a blessing. I can take my bike on board for free, and would gladly pay for the privilege of boarding with my dog.
Thank you Rep. Jeff Denham and Lily, and thank you Modesto Bee for bringing this ray of hope and possibility for riding the rails through our beautiful country! And thank you Amtrak for you super staff and great service!
Lynne George, Modesto