School budgets are in the spotlight again this week as districts try to figure out how to cut millions from their spending plans for 2010-11.
• The Modesto City Schools board will hold its second public forum on budget cuts at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Enochs High School cafeteria, 3201 Sylvan Ave. (This session was moved from its original location, Roosevelt Junior High.)
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Modesto Bee
No decisions will be made Tuesday, but this is an important time for parents, students and others to express their views about where the school board -- and should not -- look to make cuts of almost $25 million.
Of course, the public is welcome to speak at any board meeting, and budget items are likely to be on the agenda through the spring.
• The Salida Union School District board meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday, has furloughs, salary freezes and other cost-cutting measures on the table. Salida Middle School cafeteria, 5337 Sugar Creek Lane.
• The Turlock Unified School District board meets at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the performing arts building of Turlock High School. Contract proposals for faculty and classified staff are among the agenda items.
• The Stanislaus Union School District board, meeting in public session at 7 p.m. Thursday, will talk about furloughs, shortening the school year and even eliminating salary step increases for next year. Agnes Baptist School multipurpose room, 1825 Cheyenne Way, Modesto.
Also on tap this week:
• The Stanislaus County Board of Supervisors holds its once-a-month night meeting at 6:30 Tuesday. The agenda includes a plan to lay off four full-time people in the Department of Planning and Community Development Building Permits Division due to the decline in building activity and income from permits. Basement, Tenth Street Place.
• The Modesto City Council is meeting only in closed session Tuesday, primarily to review negotiations with employee unions. Mayor Jim Ridenour will give the State of the City address at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday in the DoubleTree Hotel, at a luncheon sponsored by the Modesto Chamber of Commerce. While the luncheon costs $40, free seating is available People are asked to reserve seats by calling the chamber at 577-5757.
• Turlock Irrigation District directors, meeting at 9 a.m. Tuesday, will discuss the district's response to the proposed county groundwater ordinance. 333 E. Canal Drive.
• The Stanislaus Council of Governments policy board, meeting at 6 p.m. Wednesday, has a number of transportation items to talk about, including the delays in the Yosemite Boulevard widening in east Modesto. 1111 I St., Modesto.
• The Oakdale City Council, meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday, will consider a joint engine operation with the Oakdale Fire Protection District and midyear budget matters. Council chambers, 277 N. Second Ave.