A lamp left on fell onto a pile of blankets and caught fire in a Turlock home, the Turlock Fire Department said. According to a news release, firefighters were called to a home in the 1900 block of Trail Way at 6:26 p.m. Thursday. Nobody was home when the fire broke out; when the homeowner returned, she smelled smoke as she entered the garage. She called 911 after going upstairs and finding heavy smoke.
Firefighters arrived to find a large pile of blankets on fire in the corner of a bedroom. They managed to get the pile outside, then remained to investigate the fire and ventilate the home. Damages were estimated at $1,200 to the structure and contents. The occupants were able to stay in the home and arranged for cleanup.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.