A family escaped their east Modesto home without injuries Wednesday night after a fire that began in the chimney box spread to the roof.
Firefighters were called to the home at 2301 Boston Way just southwest of Roselle and Floyd avenues at 9:42 p.m. When firefighters arrived, they found the family out of the house and a fire on the exterior of their chimney and on the roof.
The blaze was contained in 11 minutes, according to Battalion Chief Hugo Patino of the Modesto Fire Department. Four engines, one truck and a battalion chief responded. Damage to the roof and chimney was estimated at $20,000, Patino said.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.