Kitchen fire chases Turlock woman from apartment

A fire that started behind an oven Wednesday evening caused about $9,000 of damage to an apartment, but the woman who lives there got out safely.

According to the Turlock Fire Department, the blaze broke out at 6:10 p.m. at the complex in the 3000 block of West Christofferson Parkway. Fire crews put out the fire within 20 minutes, then stayed on the scene for about an hour and a half for salvage and investigation.

The fire marshal has not determined the cause of the fire. Apartment complex managers were helping the woman find temporary housing as she’s displaced from her home.