Some of the milk cartons from the Crystal Creamery plant in Modesto bear the names of young people who excelled in sports and studies.
The company announced Monday it is honoring 2016 high school graduates who received college scholarships through the Sac-Joaquin Section. The cartons are available this summer.
Crystal did the carton promotion the previous four years for high school teams that won section and state championships. This year, it’s listing students who received the A. Dale Lacky Scholarship, named for a former section and California Interscholastic Federation president, and another named for former section commissioner Clarke Coover.
“We have always sought to use our commemorative milk cartons as a fun way to recognize the success of sports teams, and this marks the first time we have focused attention solely on students,” said Frank Otis, president and chief executive officer at Crystal Creamery.
The 48 scholarship recipients include these students in and near Stanislaus County:
▪ Jarrod Willis, Hilmar, $1,500
▪ Taylor Laugero, Escalon, $1,000
▪ Stephanie Moore, Golden Valley, $1,000
▪ Hunter Petlansky, Central Catholic, $1,000
▪ Katie Dillon, Enochs, $500
▪ Brooke Dondero, Linden, $500
▪ Candice Lao, Sierra, $500
▪ Alexis Louters, Stone Ridge Christian, $500
▪ Alexandra Marquez Yanez, Los Banos, $500
▪ Anna Medema, Mariposa, $500
▪ Donato Cipponeri, Modesto, $500
▪ Daniel Hannink, Ripon Christian, $500
▪ Hunter Helfgott, Buhach Colony, $500
▪ Onyebuchi “Kosi” Ogbuli, Patterson, $500
▪ Michael Polk, Linden, $500
Crystal also cited six winners of the section’s Model Coach of the Year Award , including Kristen Pontes-Christian of Pitman and Matt Thissen of Golden Valley.