News

Fatal Modesto fire appears to be accidental

A fire at an east Modesto home where a man was found dead Thursday afternoon appears to be accidental, according to authorities.

Initial findings by the Fire Investigation Unit indicate an exposed light bulb on a lamp without a lampshade may have ignited nearby clothing stacked on a dresser in the bedroom where the decedent was located, said Lt. Dave Hutchinson, commander of the unit. He said the investigation is ongoing.

The fire broke out at a home in the 400 block of Redberry Way, a few blocks south of Creekside Golf Course.

When firefighters arrived, they spoke to a man who exited the home and informed them his grandfather was still trapped inside.

As some firefighters worked on extinguishing the fire others searched for the man, who was found dead inside a bedroom.

The man's name was not released by the Stanislaus County Coroner's Office on Friday because detectives were waiting on fingerprint results for a positive identification.

His cause of death is pending toxicology results.

  Comments