“Ugly” Christmas sweaters have become a prominent feature at holiday parties and events. Even a few runners in the recent downtown Modesto Spirit of Giving Jingle Bell Run were wearing them. From tacky and oversize to vintage and “hipster,” these Christmas jumpers are sported by people of all ages throughout the holiday season.
With the rise of the sweater trend, people young and old compete to top one another in wearing the most elaborate Christmas sweaters or vests, complete with bows, ornaments and other 3-D decorations.
As this craze for festive apparel grows, more clothing items are seen paired with these favorite sweaters. Here, a few Modesto High School seniors don their gay apparel:
Toshali Katyal: Christmas tree 3-D sweater, antlers
▪ Sweater: About two years ago, my mom bought this sweater for me. The sweater is unique to me because it is a new spin on traditional “ugly” holiday sweaters – it is the urbane pullover that is festive, yet elegant enough to wear any day during winter.
▪ Antlers: Believe it or not, these antlers can light up! I can literally light up a room with this fun accessory that brings out the child in me each holiday year!
Mackenzie O’Dell: Blue sweater, socks
▪ Sweater: I bought the sweater from a thrift shop, maybe two years ago, for $3 and it somehow got lost in my closet. I just recently rediscovered it, and it’s turned into one of my favorite things. I think I just love how it’s a different take on an “ugly Christmas sweater” and that no matter what year it is, it’s timeless.
▪ Socks: Ask anyone and they’ll tell you socks are kind of my thing. I seriously love socks, and they always end up in my stocking every Christmas – which is how I acquired these.
Krupa Modi: “Oh Snap” sweater
▪ Sweater: My friend and I each bought this sweater two years ago from Wal-Mart because it was too funny to ignore! Every year, we both wear it together! I enjoy puns, so this sweater matches my sense of humor.
Shireen Hundal: Christmas printed leggings
▪ Leggings: I recently bought these leggings from Forever 21. I love them because they’re festive yet comfortable! My favorite way to wear them is with a knit sweater or plain, long-sleeve shirt. After the holidays, I plan to continue wearing them on spirit days at school.
Mehrana Basi: Uggs fur boots
▪ Boots: Furry boots are convenient and cute to have during the wintertime! Not only do they make my feet super cozy and warm, I can style them however I want with any item of clothing.
Toshali Katyal is a senior at Modesto High School and a member of The Bee’s Teens in the Newsroom program.