LARGE SCHOOLS — GIRLS
1. (1) Turlock (22-4): 'Dogs ready for playoffs after routing rival Pitman 56-31 behind Kayla Schumann's 15 points. Last time the two met, Turlock had to hang on to win — so it's getting better.
2. (2) East Union (21-4): Lancers have won 33 games in a row at home, and it will be tested Thursday when rival Manteca visits.
3. (4) Manteca (16-9): Buffs have won three in a row since loss to Ceres, and win at EU would help boost them in power ratings.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Modesto Bee
4. (5) Modesto (15-9): Upset loss at Johansen means Tuesday showdown at Enochs pits 8-1 teams and will be for MMC title.
5. (nr) Oakdale (18-6): Five wins in six games moves Mustangs into playoff race; Big games vs. Weston Ranch and Sonora.
SMALL SCHOOLS — GIRLS
1. (1) Modesto Christian (21-4): MC rolls TVL rival Ripon 70-29, and Crusaders should pick up two more wins this week to take 23-4 record into playoffs. Big question: What seed awaits MC?
2. (2) Argonaut (25-0): Surprisingly narrow win over Calaveras (37-30) raises familiar query: Are Mustangs really 25-0 good?
3. (4) Livingston (17-7): Maria Flores (30 points) leads Wolves past Central Catholic; WAC title on line Tuesday vs. Patterson.
4. (5) Patterson (18-7): Tigers' 11-2 in last six weeks, and both losses are to Livingston (61-54 and 55-50); One more chance.
5. (nr) Ripon (14-10): Indians' only TVL losses to MC, but tough to tell how good Ripon is considering league's lack of potency.
LARGE SCHOOLS — BOYS
1. (1) Merced (21-4): Bears got scare from Golden Valley, but will get fourth straight CCC crown with two more wins this week.
2. (2) Turlock (21-5): 'Dogs will be assured no worse than No. 5 seed with win over Buhach, but need help to get a top-4 seed.
3. (3) Manteca (20-5) Buffaloes win back-to-back VOL titles, and must win at Sonora and vs. East Union to maintain high seed.
4. (5) Davis (22-4): Spartans have won February games by an average of 22 points, and with win vs. Johansen on Wednesday will notch first unbeaten boys' basketball season in MMC history.
5. (nr) Sierra (17-8): Six-game winning streak snapped Friday at Manteca; Can't afford another slip if they want to play on.
SMALL SCHOOLS — BOYS
1. (1) Modesto Christian (16-8): Faces Riverbank and Ripon Christian before embarking on quest for an 11th straight title.
2. (2) Central Catholic (20-5): After dropping a stunner to Patterson, Raiders came back with a hard-fought win at Livingston..
3. (3) Livingston (18-6): With no games left against either Central Catholic or Hilmar, WAC crown is out of the Wolves' control.
4. (4) Hilmar (18-6): If the Yellowjackets can hold serve at home tonight against Central Catholic, they move into a first-place tie with each team heavily favored to win its regular-season finale.
5. (5) Amador (22-3): Buffaloes' game tonight at Linden will be difficult, but is followed by regular-season finale at home against winless (in league) Argonaut; After that, it's playoff for Amador.