Agostini: Outstanding Athlete Awards Banquet is Wednesday
04/25/2014 8:31 PM
04/25/2014 8:31 PM
Reading time, two minutes:• One of the features of the 47th annual Outstanding Athlete Awards Banquet, coming up Wednesday night, will be the Hall of Fame inductions of three-time Olympian Suzy Powell and the late Dan Gonsalves.
• Both inductions are well-deserved with one regret: That Dan can’t be there.
• Most fans remember Powell’s American record and her national titles in the discus. They may have forgotten that Powell was a three-time state champion at Downey High and later won three U.S. Junior titles.
• Modesto Christian’s state girls basketball title is recognized on Crystal Creamery milk cartons – the marriage of a good team and shrewd marketing.
• Sold out: The annual Turlock Mayor’s Prayer Breakfast next Friday featuring Colin Kaepernick.
• Rick Adelman has retired after coaching NBA teams for 23 seasons. The Kings’ demise began the moment they fired him over a decade ago.
• The improvement of Rockies catcher Wilin Rosario has been credited to former Modesto Nuts manager, and catching guru, Jerry Weinstein.
• Paging the Warriors’ Stephen Curry: Your team needs you. Now.
• The Clippers lead the Warriors for two reasons: 1. The absence of Golden State center Andrew Bogut, and 2. The mugging they’re giving Curry every night.
• Worry not about the Oakland Athletics. They’ll never slump for long with the Houston Astros in the AL West.
• Paul McCartney will return to Candlestick Park, almost 48 years to the day after the Beatles’ final ticketed appearance there, on Aug. 14. You say goodbye, Paul, and I say hello.
• Only the Cubs can celebrate the 100th birthday of Wrigley Field by blowing a lead in the ninth.
• There have been sightings of a mountain lion around Oakdale Country Club. I knew that course was tough, but ...
• The late Earl Morrall quarterbacked the Dolphins to nine wins during their unbeaten 1972 season. Reason enough why Morrall is in coach Don Shula’s personal hall of fame.
• Sacramento State football coach Marshall Sperbeck resigned Friday. His Hornets upset Colorado and Oregon State, but methinks he wouldn’t have stepped down if he had not lost the last four to UC Davis.
• LeBron James says he’s frustrated by the hard fouls he’s absorbing in the playoffs. He should Google the 1980s playoff games involving the Pistons, Lakers and Celtics for a better definition of “hard fouls.”
• The Raiders welcome the 49ers to the Coliseum on Dec. 7. Oakland would rather be at the 49ers’ Levi’s Stadium – in 2016 for Super Bowl L.
• Alex Smith and the Chiefs come to Levi’s on Oct. 5. No QB handled himself with more grace, as chaos swirled around him, than Smith in S.F.
• Some experts are predicting a Broncos-Seahawks rematch in the Super Bowl. Haven’t yet detected a public outcry for a sequel.
• Ex-Giant Brian Wilson has an ERA of 15.75. Fear the Beard. Not.
• David Moyes lasted only 10 months as coach of Manchester United, one of the most storied franchises in sports. He couldn’t live up to the expectations: Win every game or else.
• Loved Vince Lombardi’s take: Strive for perfection, but if you fall short, you might find excellence.
• Only because he could put the bat on the baseball : Chili Davis.
• Tiger Woods says he will return to the PGA Tour sometime this summer. Can’t be soon enough, judging by the freefalling TV ratings.
• The slimmed-down Pablo Sandoval is batting .165. He hit better when he was Panda-shaped.
• She won the Sac-Joaquin Section Masters discus title as a freshman, and she’s on schedule for more of the same a year later: Oakdale’s Hannah Chappell.
• Hannah Chappell, meet Suzy Powell. You have something in common.
Join the Discussion
The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.