Reading time, two minutes:
▪ Baseball’s dog days and football preseason always leave us a little dizzy.
▪ The opening NFL preseason games already have given us a clue to what’s coming: More two-point conversion tries.
▪ Crazy rumor about ex-49er Aldon Smith and Colin Kaepernick getting into a fight before Smith’s arrest. The last time we saw Smith, he supported Kaepernick at his Camp Taylor “Against All Odds” benefit golf tournament at Del Rio CC.
▪ Update: The tournament has raised nearly $1 million for Camp Taylor over the first three years.
▪ A busload of Camp Taylor kids will attend a 49ers practice on Tuesday. They were invited by Kaepernick and coach Jim Tomsula.
▪ Would the Raiders agree to play a few seasons at Levi’s Stadium in order to stay in the Bay Area? Depends on: 1. Approval by the 49ers, 2. the Raiders’ commitment to stay, which is connected to, 3. The new stadium proposal.
▪ The next step, of course: Having a stadium proposal.
10 John Daly scored a 10 on a par-3 at the PGA Championship
▪ Just a feeling, but the Rams’ return to Los Angeles appears like a good bet.
▪ Also a better than 50-50 chance, but not until after Super Bowl 50: Synthetic turf at Levi’s.
▪ The unbeaten 1980 Modesto Junior College football team will hold a reunion on Sept. 5, the Pirates’ season opener against American River.
▪ If you were a member of that team, call Eddie Kiryakous at 272-6335.
▪ Remember the “10-Year War” between Ohio State’s Woody Hayes and Michigan’s Bo Schembechler? It might repeat with Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh.
▪ Beth Mowins will become the second woman to do TV football play-by-play when she does three Raiders preseason games. Can’t imagine someone more qualified than her.
▪ The Giants have won three World Series while spinning a revolving door at second base: Freddy Sanchez, Marco Scutaro, Ryan Theriot, Emmanuel Burriss, Dan Uggla, Joe Panik and others.
▪ Starting to look this way: The Giants stand a better chance of catching the Dodgers in the N.L. West than securing a wild card.
▪ Vin Scully on the state of the Dodgers: “It’s Greinke and Kershaw and hold on to your hat!”
▪ The late Frank Gifford will be remembered by three generations: 1. As a football star for the New York Giants, 2. As the polished play-by-play man for “Monday Night Football” and other telecasts, and 3. As Kathie Lee Gifford’s husband.
▪ About the “Old Man Weather” logo at Whistling Straits, the site of the PGA Championship: It looks like WS founder Herb Kohler.
▪ About John Daly’s 10 at a par-3 : It’s called a septuple bogey.
▪ Daly dumped three balls and his 6-iron into Lake Michigan. And the legend grows.
▪ When Tiger Woods tees it up at his next major, he’ll be 40.
▪ Why the rivalry between Jordan Spieth and Rory McIlroy will get better over the years: Spieth is 22, McIlroy 26.
▪ The duels between Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson would have been more numerous if they weren’t born 10 years apart.
▪ The Americans haven’t swept the majors since 1982. That streak might end Sunday.
▪ Fresno State has its own blimp – Bulldog1. Yes, it’s red.
▪ Because it’s the NFL: The consensus was the 49ers had to release Smith. But when he’s again eligible, another team will sign him in about five minutes.
▪ The Raiders will improve this year. Here’s the tiebreaker from any Raider fan: “We actually have a coach (Jack Del Rio).”