Stanislaus District high school volleyball power rankings
Comprised of schools from the Modesto Metro Conference, Central California Conference, Valley Oak League and Western Athletic Conference. Updated through Wednesday’s matches.
1. (1) Pitman: Despite a rough outing at the Stockton Classic, which featured losses to Rocklin and Presentation, Pride still among the section’s best.
Never miss a local story.
2. (2) Turlock: The Bulldogs snapped a four-match losing streak with a sweep of Golden Valley earlier in the week. Turlock suffered losses to Pitman, Christian Brothers, Lincoln and Marin Catholic.
3. (3) Gregori: The Jaguars host Johansen and Enochs next week, and a victory against the latter would wrap up an outright Modesto Metro Conference crown.
4. (4) El Capitan: The Gauchos are closing in on their first Western Athletic Conference title. Led by Dayanna Torres and Ariana Johnson, El Capitan finishes the regular season Tuesday against perennial champion Los Banos.
5. (5) Enochs: The Eagles have had Thursday’s rematch at Gregori circled since suffering a 3-1 loss to their rival. Barring an upset at the hands of Downey (late Thursday) or Modesto (Tuesday), Enochs can earn at least a share of the conference title with a win at Gregori.
6. (6) Oakdale: Lauren Ott had seven blocks, 14 kills and 34 digs, and setters Jocelyn Burke and Isabella Cobarruvias each had 22 assists in a taut victory over up-and-coming Manteca.
7. (7) Golden Valley: The Cougars have established themselves as the CCC’s third-best team behind the Turlock schools. GV owns wins over Atwater, Buhach Colony and Merced.
Comprised of schools from the Trans-Valley League, Mother Lode League, Southern League and Central California Athletic Alliance. Updated through Wednesday’s matches.
1. (1) Sonora: Wildcats are motoring along in the MLL; will wrap league play at Bret Harte on Thursday. A nonleague match with large-school No. 1 Pitman also looms.
2. (2) Hilmar: The Yellowjackets finished second at their site at the Stockton Classic; a big Trans Valley League test awaits Monday at No. 3 Ripon.
3. (4) Ripon: Fifth-year coach Adrienne Beltrami beat No. 4 Escalon for the first time, and the win keeps Ripon – led by McCreath twins – in the hunt for a TVL title.
4. (3) Escalon: The Cougars are rooting for rival Ripon to upset Hilmar on Monday. A loss there could turn Escalon’s TVL finale with Hilmar into a title match.
5. (nr) Stone Ridge Christian: The Lady Knights jump into the power rankings after sweeping Turlock Christian, Elliott Christian, Brookside Christian and VA Excel in succession.
6. (5) Turlock Christian: The Eagles have a big week ahead with home matches against Stone Ridge Christian (Tuesday) and Big Valley Christian (Thursday); the three are virtually tied atop CCAA.
7. (6) Big Valley Christian: The Lions have the easiest of the closing schedules among the CCAA’s Big Three; league title could be decided in the finale at Turlock Christian.