TURLOCK -- Lianne Vicchio had 17 kills as the California State University, Stanislaus volleyball team bounced back from a first-game loss to beat Humboldt State 3-1 on Saturday night.
Andrea Fett and Melissa Bishop each contributed seven kills for the Warriors (5-4, 2-2 in California Collegiate Athletic Association play).
It was a promising start for the Lumberjacks, who have yet to win a game. But the Warriors took a 4-1 lead early in the second game and never trailed again through the entire match.
Jessica Lehner had 23 assists and 7 aces for CSUS while Megan Britton had 20 digs.
Never miss a local story.
• PACIFIC VOLLEYBALL, at Tempe, Ariz. -- University of the Pacific lost twice on the second day of the Arizona State Sheraton Tournament, falling to the host team in five games then to No. 21 ranked Michigan 3-1. The Tigers (7-1) were led by sophomore Hannah Clancy with 27 assists.
• MJC WRESTLING, at Sacramento -- Heavyweight Marco Delgado won the first title of the season on Saturday, finishing 4-0 in the Sacramento City College Tournament. Travis Shaefer, wrestling at 174-pounds, was 3-1 and finished second while Stephen Acklin (149) was 3-2. Their success was not enough to lift the Pirates out of fourth place in the four-team tourney, which Fresno City College won. Edgar Paez (125), Nelson Valdovinos (141) and Abdallah Abdallah (165) all won two matches in the tourney.
• HUGHSON CROSS COUNTRY -- Rebecca Hobby ran a challenging 2.5-mile cross-country course -- complete with a water trap -- in 15 minutes, 50 seconds to win the Hughson Cross Country Invitational in course-record time. She was among 350 runners from 11 teams to compete. Hilmar's Morgan McFadden was second in 17:02 followed by Riverbank's Adriana Rosales (17:07) and Jackie Herrera (17:38). The Bruins won the team title. In the boy's race, Riverbank's Ben Hodges took the lead in the first 100 meters and was never challenged, winning in 14:23. Hughson had three runners in the top 12, to win the team title.
• CENTRAL CAL WATER POLO, at Turlock -- Grant McNulty scored the winning goal in overtime as Turlock won the team title by beating Merced 6-5. Turlock's Chris Callahan was the leading scorer in the game with three goals and Morley Baker added two. Goalie Neil Wraske made nine saves. Turlock (8-3) also beat Davis 10-7, Sonora 9-4, Lincoln 11-5 and Golden Valley 10-3. Sonora and Buhach Colony were both 2-0 in Saturday games.
• MJC WATER POLO, at Stockton -- The Pirate men split a pair of games in the Delta College Tournament, beating Solano College 17-5 but losing to Sierra College 8-5. In the win, Tim Richard scored four goals with Matt Tameo and Brandon Duncan getting two each for MJC (8-2). In the loss, Erik Arakelian had two goals and Garrett Porter made nine saves. Playing in the West Valley Tourney, the MJC women (2-5) lost 6-3 to Merced and 9-2 to Foothill College. Goalie Brooke McGee had 17 saves between the games.