Breaking News Alerts

March 13, 2012

Ceres kidnap suspect appears in court

A pretrial hearing was continued this morning for a man accused of torturing and imprisoning his girlfriend in Ceres last month. Richard Garcia’s victim, according to family members, is an 18-year-old woman who was the sole survivor in a triple homicide in east Modesto early March 3.

A pretrial hearing was continued this morning for a man accused of torturing and imprisoning his girlfriend in Ceres last month.

Richard Garcia, 31, also known as Richard Garibay, has been charged with torture, assault likely to cause great bodily injury, battery on a spouse, false imprisonment and making criminal threats.

Garcia’s victim, according to family members, is an 18-year-old woman who was the sole survivor in a triple homicide in east Modesto early March 3.

Edward Reinig, 31, Alyxandria Tellez, 19, and the 18-year-old woman’s brother, David Siebels, 16, were shot to death inside a two-story house in the 700 block of North McClure Road near Creekside Golf Course. The family members said the woman was sleeping in a bedroom when the assailant or assailants entered the home through an unlocked door.

Modesto police have declined to comment about potential suspects in the murders. Investigators have said the killings were not random, and the people in the home were targeted.

No arrests have been made in the fatal shootings.

Garcia is being held on $1 million bail.

Garcia’s attorney Robert Orenstein asked that the pretrial hearing be continued so he had additional time to review discovery in the case.

The pretrial hearing was rescheduled for March 28 at 8:30 a.m. in Stanislaus County Superior Court.

Related content

Comments