Modesto's Sundial senior residence evacuated after report of smoke

03/15/2010 8:00 AM

03/15/2010 9:40 AM

Residents at the Sundial Palms Assisted Living and Memory Care on McHenry Avenue were evacuated this morning after reports of a smell of smoke.

The Modesto Fire Department arrived on scene at about 7:45 a.m. and began evacuating residents and looking for any signs of fire in the building at 808 McHenry Ave.

All the residents are safely out of the building.

Fire crews found a burned out breaker box that was the source of the smoke, according to Terry Inderbitzen, battalion chief for the Modesto Fire Department.

He said fire crews aired out of the building, and residents were then allowed back in.

At least one lane of northbound McHenry Avenue was shut down while crews tended to residents. All lanes were open an hour later.

Join the Discussion

The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service