Fire gutted a Modesto family’s garage last night but neighbors who spotted the flames were able to get a father and his two daughters out in time, fire officials said.
The father suffered mild smoke inhalation but refused medical treatment, said Battalion Chief Hugo Patino of the Modesto Fire Department.
He said neighbors first saw smoke and flames streaming from the garage of the single-story home on Multnomah Drive about 11:37 p.m. last night and banged on the front door to get the family out. When firefighters arrived a few minutes later, heavy smoke was coming from the garage and flames were shooting through the roof and out a door.
He said firefighters streamed their line through the house and fought the fire from there, successfully keeping it from entering the rest of the house. It was under control within 14 minutes, Patino said, although crews were on scene until about 3 a.m.
Never miss a local story.
He said investigators believe the fire sparked from any one of several major appliances in the garage but couldn’t tell which one. Among them, the garage contained a washer and dryer, water heater, electric floor heater and a freezer, he said. Losses to belongings inside the garage were estimated at $10,000 and $40,000 to the structure.
He said the family is staying with relatives who live nearby.