New blood for the Oakdale City Council
10/09/2012 6:30 PM
10/09/2012 6:31 PM
Soon we will have a choice in seating a new Oakdale City Council. Any incumbents who have been on past councils must be replaced. Major mistakes from 2004 to 2010 are due to the decisions of three members: two two-term members and an ex-mayor participated in Oakdale's financial ruin:
1. Termination of a seasoned city manager who disagreed with excessive costs for the Bridle Ridge fire station construction and manpower
2. Selection of a weak and ineffective city manager who was later terminated after $1 million of irregularities was discovered
3. Approved the purchase of the Hershey's visitor center at a ridiculous price and further refurbishment at a cost of more than $1 million
4. Absurd salaries, severance packages and retirement benefits for top city staff positions
5. Permitting a few operations on the airport to enjoy rents at less than half market price and denying other operators
6. Hiring a public works director with an overstated résumé and inadequate certifications
Blaming the bad economy for mismanagement and corruption is not acceptable. Many bad decisions were made long before the housing bubble burst.
Please let new personalities come to council with independent thought and clear conscience.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.