All our community-based efforts against gangs won't significantly change things until we cut the head off the snake. La Eme and Nuestra Familia rule gangs from inside prison and must be destroyed there, from the top down. Of course, education, sensitive schools and caring parents and counselors will help limit this dark-spirited ignorance locally. But our top lawmen and legislators must find the courage to:
1) Impose death row for the top leaders and place the command-and-control individuals of these gangs in a separate facility on permanent lockdown, with no communication with the outside world.
2) Deport the almost 20,000 illegal alien prisoners that drain our resources.
3) Stop the flow of drugs across our border.
4) Petition/pressure Hollywood to stop showing American gangsters as likable people.
5) Pressure the gangster rap industry to clean it up. This horrific cancer must be cut out to restore a just and open society and hope to our children where individual rights are what is respected.
Do not fear those who will call you racist for promoting law and order by placing law enforcement in a stronger position than thugsters. Meanwhile, do not characterize this community as passive, sad, fearful and "resigned." When it comes to gangs, we want real change.