The 2018 legislative session begins on Jan. 3 in Sacramento. Most lawmakers decide in November on which bills to carry. Here are a few in need of an author:
▪ Amend current rodeo law (Penal Code 596.7) so as to require on-site veterinary care at all rodeos and charreadas;
▪ Ban the cruel “steer tailing” event;
▪ Ban non-sanctioned rodeo events such as “wild cow milking,” “mutton busting” and all animal “scrambles”;
Never miss a local story.
▪ Ban importation and sale of non-native frogs and turtles for human consumption;
▪ Ban use of all wild animals in circuses and carnivals;
▪ Ban all commercial fur trapping, a true “crime against nature.”
All legislators may be written c/o The State Capitol, Sacramento, CA 95814. Let them hear from you!
Eric Mills, Coordinator, Action for Animals, Oakland