The Love ( your city) movement has grown in the seven years since its inception in Modesto and keeps on growing. In fact, more than 40 cities in California will have Love celebration/workdays this year. There are several reasons for its popularity, but one of the biggest is that participants actually reap multiple rewards. You get the satisfaction of participating in something much larger than yourself; you know you’re doing something good for your community, and you can see the results. Lots of people have already signed up at lovemodesto.com for the more than 60 Modesto projects while others have gone to loveCeres.com, loveEscalon.com, loveHughson.com and others to join various projects. You don’t have to sign up in advance, but organizer Jeff Pishney highly recommends it. Going to your town’s website and picking a project lets the project leader know how many people she or he can expect. If you’re just not sure, you come to the big party being planned for downtown Modesto on Saturday morning and someone will put you to work. And speaking of that party, Pishney says there will be a carnival atmosphere, food, music and an unlimited supply of, well, love. He recommends people should come whether they want to work or not. But it’s not the only party around. Here are the gathering spots for other cities:
• Ceres will gather at 2701 Fourth St.
• Delhi will gather at 16881 Schendel Ave.
• Denair will gather at 3850 N. Gratton Road.
• Escalon will gather at 1900 California St.
• Gustine will gather at Third Avenue and Sixth Street.
• Hughson will gather at Tully Road and Graybark Lane.
• Keyes will gather at 5506 Jennie Ave.
• Merced will gather at 1045 W. 25th St.
• Oakdale, a little bit different, will gather at 8:30 a.m. at Wood Park.
• Patterson will gather at Hammon Senior Center, 1033 W. Las Palmas Ave.
• Riverbank will gather at 3600 Santa Fe Ave.
• Salida will gather at 9 a.m. Salida Park
Other cities will keep the love flowing later in the year, from May 3 in Turlock to Sept. 27 in Empire. Stay tuned for how you can help.