Lamp left on starts fire in Turlock home

07/14/2014 2:56 PM

07/14/2014 2:57 PM

A lamp left in a home fell onto a pile of blankets and caught fire in a Turlock home, the Turlock Fire Department said. According to a news release, firefighters were called to a home in the 1900 block of Trail Way at 6:26 p.m. Thursday.

Nobody was home when the fire broke out; when the homeowner returned, she smelled smoke as she entered the garage. She called 911 after going upstairs and finding heavy smoke.

Firefighters arrived to find a large pile of blankets on fire in the corner of a bedroom. They managed to get the pile outside, then remained on scene investigating the fire and ventilating the home. They found a table lamp that had been left turned on fell on top of the blankets. The bulb melted into the blankets and started them n fire. Damages were estimated at $1,200 to the structure and contents.

The occupants were able to stay in the home and arranged for cleanup.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service