Ammonia leak obstructs Turlock traffic; no injury
01/27/2013 2:15 PM
01/27/2013 10:21 PM
A warehouse ammonia leak shut down traffic on two streets and kept neighbors inside Sunday morning, but emergency workers in spacesuit-type gear quickly fixed the problem and no one was hurt.
An employee of an adjacent business reported a vapor cloud about 6:20 above Americold, which provides cold storage. The Turlock Fire Department used a
reverse-911 automated message to alert about 100 neighbors, asking them to close windows and stay inside while police diverted traffic from parts of D and Fifth streets.
Responding Americold employees shut a valve feeding ammonia to a leaking pipe, resolving much of the problem. Members of a countywide hazardous materials unit entered with breathing apparatus to make sure the leak was secured and an ammonia sensor showed no trace on protective suits when they emerged later.
"It was a fairly minor leak as far as leaks go, but significant enough to call out haz-mat," said Turlock Fire Battalion Chief Bill Becker.
The scene was cleared at 10:47 a.m., Becker said.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.