Firefighters in Turlock quickly extinguished a fire in a closet of an apartment building Thursday.
According to the Turlock Fire Department, the incident was reported via 911 call at 2:05 p.m. in the 300 block of East Olive Avenue.
Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from a closet, a small fire inside it and in a crawlspace under a first-story unit. Firefighters controlled the blaze within 15 minutes. Residents reported smelling burning plastic in the area for a few days.
Damages were estimated at $1,000. Cause of the fire was determined to be accidental, from a heating and cooling system.
Four people were left without utilities; the American Red Cross was called to help.