Ceres High violence rumors debunked
05/29/2014 5:10 PM
05/29/2014 5:11 PM
Rumors, apparently based on one Ceres High student’s threat against another, raised fears this week of campus violence, but Ceres police investigators and school officials said the talk went far past the reality.
“We received a specific threat to a specific individual earlier this week. The police investigated and found there was no credibility to the threat. The school and police have taken action to be sure there is no threat to anyone,” said Jay Simmonds, assistant superintendent of the Ceres Unified School District.
Ceres police said Thursday that a school resource officer had investigated the information and determined it was false.
“It’s come to our attention there are rumors flying around that are unfounded and untrue,” Simmonds said. He said automated calls would go out to make sure parents had the facts. The Ceres school year ends June 5.
“School is continuing and students are safe,” he said.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.