A 35-year-old Riverbank man is scheduled to be sentenced Tuesday and faces a maximum of 38 years to life in prison for sexually abusing two girls.
A jury late last month convicted Javier Augusto Quinteros after a four-week trial. The jurors found him guilty on two counts of continuous sexual abuse of a child, along with sodomy of a child younger than 14 years old and oral copulation with a child younger than 14.
Quinteros was acquitted on a charge of intercourse or sodomy with a child 10 years old or younger and a second count of oral copulation with a child younger than 14.
The defendant molested the two girls, who were known to him, from 2003 through 2010, according to Deputy District Attorney Annette Rees, who prosecuted the case. Quinteros was arrested March 8, 2010, and prosecutors filed a criminal complaint against him two days later.
Never miss a local story.
Prosecutors said the younger of the two victims told her mother what Quinteros was doing to her, which led to the defendant’s arrest. They also said testimony in the trial included DNA evidence and medical reports indicating the girls suffered physical scarring from the abuse.
Rees said in a news release that the victims were grateful to the jurors who took time to “listen carefully and find the truth.” The victims and their relatives will be given an opportunity Tuesday to speak in court about the defendant’s crimes before he is sentenced.
As part of his sentence, Quinteros will be required to register as a sex offender for life. He remains in custody at the Stanislaus County jail as he awaits sentencing.