A hearing on Wednesday to schedule a trial was postponed, so attorneys can discuss a possible plea deal for a man charged with murder in the shooting of a west Modesto teenager.
Richard Lionheart Teputepu is accused of shooting to death 17-year-old Marty Kent. He was shot Jan. 2, 2013 outside his home in the 900 block of Leon Avenue.
During the brief hearing Wednesday morning, Stanislaus Superior Court Judge Marie Silveira scheduled Teputepu to return to court Oct. 2 to schedule his trial. The judge told the defendant that the attorneys want some time to discuss the possibility of a plea deal.
The defendant remains in custody at the Stanislaus County Jail as he awaits his trial.
Sheriff’s officials have said that there had been a fight in front of the home just before the shooting.
About 6:30 p.m., deputies responded to a report of shots fired at the home west of John Thurman Field. When they arrived, they found Kent injured on the ground near the doorway.